Real Men Cook, an annual event honoring black fathers and other men who lift up the community, will be held at four locations in the Chicago area and one in Gary, Ind., on Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18. Organizers predict the combined events will draw thousands.
The locations and times are:
- BBF Family Services in North Lawndale, Douglas Park Fieldhouse, 1401 S. Sacramento, Chicago. The event starts at
11 a.m. and ends at 2 p.m. It is free, but people who plan to attend should register at http://bit.ly/RealMenCook
- Dan Ryan Woods on the South Side. The event is hosted by Keith Martin, Sr. and the sponsoring organization is Developing A Dedicated Driven Youth or DADDY. It will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Dolton Park District’s Early Learning Center, 729 Eagle Street, Dolton, Il. The event which is hosted by Fathers and Blessings is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Hales Franciscan High School, 4930 S. Cottage Grove, Chicago. You can purchase a ticket for this event at www.realmencook.com. Children under 18 accompanied by an adult can attend for free. The event begins at 3 p.m. and ends at6 p.m.
- Trinity United Church of Christ, 1276 W. 20th Ave., Gary, Ind. The event, which is scheduled from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., is hosted by Rev. John Jackson.
Each participating location will have a Real Men Cook banner and the men will wear Real Men Cook apparel.
The event promotes healthy eating, and throughout the year Real Men Cook will host seminars addressing obesity, diabetes, prostate cancer and heart disease.
Sponsors of Real Men Cook 2017 are: ComEd, NextLevel Health, University of Chicago Medicine, Whole Foods Market, Black Eats Chicago and Great Migration Centennial.